Sunday, May 20, 2007

Thoughts at 3am

I should be sleeping right now, I know. But it's been a crazy night for Benjamin and I!

Benjamin got kicked out of the nursery earlier this evening. Okay, that might be a little dramatic. Here's the scoop. The hospital rule is that there must be an awake adult in the room with a new baby at all times. Since Curtis is at home, to take the kids to church, I gave Benjamin to the nursery as soon as he had finished nursing and was asleep. I immediately curl up, and go to sleep. 45 minutes later, Benjamin is back! The nurse said that he was screaming, and she couldn't calm him down. So, Benjamin and I got some high quality bonding time!

For some reason, I don't feel like I'm in College Station anymore. When I watch TV and see something about Bryan/College Station, I get surprised. Strange, I know. But being in the hospital forever is new to me. And I guess my body is just taking some adjustment time.

I LOVE morphine! The doc, gives gave me a shot of it yesterday right before surgery. It's a great way to help with the post op pain. Unfortunately, it only lasts for the first 24 hours after surgery. Needless to say, I was a little bummed when suddenly, I'm in pain! And of course, the icing on the cake is that the nurses make c-section moms walk. But, compared to how I did with Micah, I feel much better! And, thankfully they give you other pain meds too!

I haven't seen outside since Friday morning. I knew I would be in the hospital through the weekend. It's just weird to think that everyone else gets to get up, an go about their days, and I had to struggle to sit, get up and move, and I can't leave these hallways.

I feel guilty when I page a nurse for something. There are times when I think it's okay, like when the IV is beeping. But I hate paging and saying, "Hi, I need water again." I know it's their job, but I really do feel like I'm imposing sometimes. Oh, and when I page and ask for more pain killers, I feel like a druggie looking for her next fix. I just hate paging! That's all there is to that.

Graham crackers and grape juice make for a strange combination. I was given these two thing just a little bit ago, so that I could take some medicine. Now I have a weird after taste and crumbs in my bed.

Those are all my musings for now. I'm sure something else will pop into my head as I wait for Benjamin to come back from the nursery and nurse again. Until then, I might try to sneak a nap in.

3 comments:

Charla (SHar-la) said...

Okay, I'm assuming you were "pain-free" when you wrote your musings...some of them RANDOM!!

Kierstyn said...

Wow! I think that I should make it my new policy to not blog when on pain killers and sleep deprived! That was random!

Anonymous said...

Kierstyn,
He's absolutely beautiful!
Congrats!
Carissa