Friday, January 04, 2008

Helmet, Day 1

As you can see form the pictures below, Benjamin is adjusting quite well to his new helmet. I was a little concerned last night, when he was wearing it for the first time, and he began screaming and smacking his helmet. :-)

Our orthotist (the helmet doctor) has Benjamin on a 4 hour cycle schedule to help him get used to the helmet. It goes like this.
Day 1: 1 hour in helmet, 3 hours out.
Day 2: 2 hours in helmet, 2 hours out
Day 3: 3 hours in helmet, 1 out.
Day 4: 23 hours in helmet, one hour out for cleaning.

Benjamin has been wearing his helmet for about an hour and a half at a time so far today. The orthotist said that he can wear if as long as he wants, but wanted me to know that he didn't have to start out wearing it full time.

So by Monday, he should be wearing it full time (23 hours a day). He hasn't had to sleep in it yet, and that's one of my biggest "concerns". Those of you who know Benjamin well know that he doesn't like to sleep. At all. We were just starting to make some progress at nap time, and I'm worried that we'll be back at square one. Good thing God is sovereign, right?

Benjamin has had some crawling issues in the new helmet. When he moves from a sitting position to a crawling position, he usually ends up doing a face plant. When I tell him to try again, he just lays on his back, and looks at me like this is all my fault. I guess that's better that crying!
He's ridden in has car seat with it on, and that doesn't seem to effect him too much. He really is doing super!
Elizabeth and Micah are totally excited about Benjamin's new helmet. They want him to wear it all the time! There are moments where Benjamin gets a little frustrated with the helmet, and Elizabeth has been especially sweet with distracting him.

All in all, I would say day 1 is going much better than I was anticipating! I'm going to try to get his helmet decorated sometime today or tomorrow. I'll do that in my "free time"! Ha!

3 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh my goodness is that boy cute! And what a sweet helper Elizabeth is!

Sherry said...

He looks so happy! I love the pic of Elizabeth distracting him... thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Cool "baby astronaut"! I can't wait to see how you decorate it!

-Christi