Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Drama!

There are some evenings that are calm, quiet, productive and very enjoyable. Then, there are the evenings where lots of little things go wrong, and all you want to do is go to bed and try again the next day. Yesterday was one of those evenings.

We had a great morning, followed by a nice lunch with Daddy and a visit from Gracie Mae and Ashlee. The boys began their naps, at the same time, and I was planning a quiet afternoon for Elizabeth and I. Benjamin pulled on of his old tricks and only slept for about 45 minutes. He spent the rest of the afternoon/early evening crying. Loads of fun!

Curtis had a meeting so I was bracing myself for a long evening with hopes that his meeting would be short. He left, and I got the big kids in the bath, while Benjamin was content to watch them and made happy screams at them. So far so good. Then, I took his helmet off. There was some blood on the inside of his helmet as well as on his head. Lovely! Upon further inspection I see that he has a sore on his incision (or is it a scar now?) which is oozing blood and puss. And upon even further inspection, I see that he has two such spots. I call my Mom who calls Ms. Terri, my parents best friend and a nurse to boot! She said call our pediatrician and be prepared for a light over reaction. I called the nurse hot line, and half an hour later, they call me back saying I need to call the surgeon. If I can't get a hold of Benjamin's surgeon, I should take him to the ER. Even though I knew that wasn't necessary, it still kinda worried the Mommy side of me which is already on high alert with Benjamin. I get a hold of the surgeon, and she says clean it four times a day, put Neosporin on it, leave the helmet off, and call her to let her know how he's doing. If he doesn't begin to improve, it will be a trip to Austin.

We've also been watching a red spot on the back of his head. Every time we take the helmet off, there's the red spot, but it quickly goes away. The rule is if it goes away within half an hour, it's of no worry. Well, it was still there after several hours AND there's a nice knot on his head to go along with the red spot. So I get to call the helmet place and odds are, end up in Austin for that.

And the icing on the cake is the Benjamin has what I think is some serious allergy problem. His nose his running non stop! And he has the cough, sneezes and watery eyes to finish his pathetic little face.

So, there's how our evening went yesterday! Here's hoping for a better go around tonight!

No comments: