Monday, April 23, 2007

How would you answer?

"Mommy, how did Baby Benjamin get inside your tummy?"

That's the question Elizabeth posed to me today as we were driving to ballet. She had been talking about her birthday, which won't come until after Benjamin is born. Then, she was telling me about how I had a baby in my tummy, and she didn't because she was too little.

Then silence. The kind of silence that should worry a mother. Then, the question.

I told her that God gave Benjamin to Mommy and Daddy, just like He had given us her and Micah.

"So, God put Benjamin in your tummy, not Daddy?" she assumes.
"Yep," I reply, suddenly thinking of the immaculate conception.
"First, God gave Benjamin to Daddy. Daddy held him. Then Daddy gave Benjamin back to God, and God put him in your tummy."
"Something like that," I agree.

5 comments:

Amy said...

That's just one more reason why I'm letting all of you guys figure this stuff out first. Let me know all of your answers to tough questions - in fact, I'll need all the tricks of the trade, okay? Once I've collected enough info, maybe we'll be ready for kids!

=)

Anonymous said...

wow...Piper isn't that inquisitive yet...she just wants baby Will out of mommy's tummy so she can play more! :)

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

I'm cracking up laughing! That's too cute!

Anonymous said...

oops...i posted my comment to this question under the irony post---you must look there for my profound wisdom---grasshopper!

Kierstyn said...

Amy, don't worry... I'm working on a book right now! :-)

Momma, Curtis said I have to field all these questions for Elizabeth, but he'll take care of the boys. So, I asked him what he would have told Micah or Benjamin if they had asked him that question. "Yep, Daddy put that baby there, and when you are a man, you can do that to your wife too."

Maybe I'll just answer all the questions....