Sunday, February 01, 2009

Right Back

As I'm driving, on the same road I drove to and from Austin so many times, I get hit with that old familiar feeling, and I'm right back where I was.

While standing in church, training the two older kids, the words of a song will penetrate, " All my trust on Thee is stayed, All my help from Thee I bring; Cover my defenseless head With the shadow of Thy wing." and I'm right back where I was.

A picture.

A conversation.

Getting a glimpse of his scar.

Any of these things can take me right back to where I was. To those hours in the waiting room, when all I could do was pray, hope and wait, longing to hold my baby. To those moments in the PICU when I was so scared, so worried, so overwhelmed with emotions. To the moment when we got to go home! When we received good report, after good report. To all the exhausting trips to Austin and back. So many moments. Some good, some bad.

The road we've traveled has not always been easy (isn't that just life?). This road hasn't always been filled with the joy that I long for. But this isn't a road we've had to walk on alone. Every step of the way, our Savior has been with us; guiding us, protecting us, encouraging us, strengthening us. And that makes all those other moments worth it, knowing that I am now walking a closer walk with my Savior.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And this adventure of parentng that you've characterized as a road will continue to reach into a future full of uncertainties. But the certainty you've realized, the presence of God your Saviour, will continue with you...and Benjamin and all your family...

This is certain!
Love you,
Dad